One Great Hour of Sharing Offering - Collected on Palm Sunday and Easter
Purpose: Through this offering Presbyterians share God’s love by giving to ministries that provide relief to those affected by natural disasters, food for the hungry, and support towards the self-development of poor and oppressed communities.
The three parts of OGHS:
· Restoring Hope (Presbyterian Disaster Assistance) receives 32% of the funds collected.
· The Presbyterian Hunger Program receives 36%.
· Partnering in Progress (Self-Development of People) receives 32%.
“The OGHS ministries are driven, not so much by who the recipients are, but by who we are faithful and generous followers of Christ Jesus. As such, our intention is to follow the lead of Jesus who looks upon everyone as a valued child of God, worthy of God’s good gift of life abundant. This is our foundation and motive.”-Rev. Joseph Johnson, Evergreen Presbyterian Church, Dothan, AL
Pentecost Offering - Collected on Pentecost Sunday
Purpose: Receiving this Offering allows Presbyterians to invest in faith formation of one of the church’s greatest resources-our youth-and join in ministries that address the needs of at-risk children and encourage, grow, and support our young people.
· 40% is retained by this congregation for investment in local programs focused on children at risk.
· 25% Young Adult Volunteers which bring young adults together in fellowship, worship, and service throughout the world.
· 25% Youth Ministries which guide youth in their walk with Christ and inspire those called to accompany them.
· 10% Advocacy that protects and education that nurtures our children and youth in mind, body, and spirit.
The Church and Society Committee (the mission arm of our church) has decided CPC’s share of the Pentecost Offering (40%) will support the backpack-school supplies program offered through Hope in Christ Back-to-School Celebration. This is the same program we have supported for many years. It is a needed program in our community as evidenced by the increased number of participants each year.