Collegeiate Presbyterian Church was founded on February 21, 1911, when thirty some members met at the home of Thomas Sloss. By the end of February, the new church closed its charter-membership period with a total of 40.
The Synod of Iowa envisioned a church that would minister to both Iowa State and the greater Ames community. The idea of serving "town and gown" in a single congregation was innovative at the time.
The growth of the congregation was rapid. By 1914 a second pastor was added to the staff. The Rev. J.W. Innes, CPC’s founding pastor, became the college pastor, and the Rev. H.W. Johnston was installed as the community pastor. The original church building, the present sanctuary, was dedicated in 1917. Total membership was 400.
In the 1950's a great deal happened and the building was expanded:
- A second worship service was initiated
- Campus Ministry
- West wing addition for Christian education, library and choir room
- New south wing for church and Chapel, with the second floor housing the Westgate Center's campus ministry facilities
- Membership grew to 1600; a second Presbyterian Church, Northminster was started
Collegiate was a grand experiment in 1911: Could a single congregation minister to both the university and resident communities? As Collegiate celebrates its Centennial, the congregation's steadfast commitment to students and to the community remains a testimony to its original witness to Christ.